Q: I have a 2011 Chevy Aveo LT. When I have the AC on at idle the vehicle overheats. What could be some things to look at? The radiat

asked by on June 20, 2017

My car overheats at idle with the AC on. The vehicle starts idling rough as well. The coolant looks due for a change, but the fan is running strong. These issues are not present during highway travel. Also noticing that the vehicle accelerates slower from a stop light than it should it really sluggish from the line then picks right up. Any incite would be appreciated. Also not sure if it's a symptom or not, but fuel consumption is a little higher as well.

Hi there. An overheating problem while idling could be caused by multiple issues, ranging from sludge that is clogging the coolant lines, to a radiator fan that is not activating as well as it should. It is also possible that your coolant has more water than coolant. It’s recommended to have a 50 / 50 ratio of coolant to distilled water for optimal cooling. If the vehicle is due to have coolant system flushed, I would start with this and see if it resolves your problem. Otherwise, it would be recommended to have a professional mechanic complete an overheating inspection to determine why this is happening.