Q: Car goes forward when put in reverse backup lights do not come on

Truck goes forward when put in Reverse backup lights do not come on when put in reverse

Hi there. The most common cause of this type of problem is a transmission sensor, or linkage malfunction or a pressure imbalance in the transmission. With these issues, the car is unsafe to drive until this is resolved. You should have a professional mechanic complete a transmission shifting inspection to determine the precise source of this problem; so they can recommend the right repairs.

Hi there. Check the reverse light switch on the transmission gear selection switch. Look to see if the wires are connected and there is power to the switch. If the switch has no power to it, then check the fuses for any of them burned. If the fuses are good, then there may be a break in the wiring from the reverse light switch to the ECM (computer). If there is power to the switch and no power after the switch when it is pressed, then the reverse light switch would need to be replaced. If you need further assistance with the reverse lights not working, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.