Q: Car will start but will not go into drive or reverse. It revs up just fine, transmission was not slipping. Rear tire was covered in fluid.

Drove on highway just fine. Once I got to a stop light it didn't want to accelerate. Then it peeled out, the more I stopped, the less it wanted to go. Pulled in front of my house and tried to put it into reverse to back up into spot, wouldn't go into reverse. It starts and revs up, but will not move. RPMs increase but it doesn't move. The fuel filter is still factory after 227k miles. There is a rear axle leak on passenger side and tire is caked with a thick blackish stinky fluid. More like a paste at this point. There is also what looks like oil leaking under the hood, not sure where from. Tires are less than a year old and none of the other tires have any fluid leaks. I have a technician from you guys coming out tomorrow, I am under the impression it is the rear axle seal leaking, does that sound right or not? If so is this something the mobile mechanic can do at my house? Thanks - Jennifer

A: Hello. I would need to know what kind of ve...

Hello. I would need to know what kind of vehicle this is to be able to help you with specifics. From what you are explaining though it sounds like a transmission failure. When there is a transmission problem the vehicle will act like this.

I would start by checking the transmission fluid. If the fluid is low then this will occur. If the fluid level is fine then the fluid condition needs to be checked. If it is dark or smells burnt then it needs to be drained from the transmission and the fluid inspected for metal which would mean that the transmission is failing.

It can also be a sensor or fuel problem but that is not as common. I would usually scan the computer for codes first just to see if there is anything that comes up in the codes.

If you are planning on having this loss of power issue checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.