Q: Car is stuttering while driving - 2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse

My car's check engine light came on, then it started to jerk while driving and while put in park. not sure what the problem could be, was hoping you could give me an idea?

A: This may be a sign of a dirty or failing ma...

This may be a sign of a dirty or failing mass air flow sensor. The mass air flow sensor is a unit in the intake system that monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this fails, it can cause an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which results in over-fueling or under-fueling depending on the conditions. This may cause a hesitation, loss of power, or a jerking reaction when this sensor is malfunctioning.

When this is not working properly, you may also notice a strong smell of fuel. Depending on the make and model of the vehicle and the type of ignition system it uses, this type of symptom can also occur when there is moisture inside the distributor cap causing a misfire as you try to accelerate. I would suggest having a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home to determine why the Check Engine Light is on and replace your mass airflow sensor if needed.