Q: Intermediate steering shaft is rubbing frame on right turns only.

I have a truck the was in a passenger side collision. The yokes and the bolt holding down the shaft is rubbing the frame when I make right turns only. So what I have done in the time being is shaved down the yokes a little and nicked the head of the bolt a little so that it doesn't hit. What could be bent or what is causing this to happen? Could the rack and pinion be out of line. I don't think the frame is bent. Would replacing the rack and pinion solve this?

Hello, thank you for writing in. Without knowing the make and model of your vehicle is it difficult to say what the issue may be. The best method for diagnosing this rubbing is to do a full inspection of the vehicle in that area. You will eventually find what was knocked out of place. Look at the angle of the steering column. Is it further to the left or the right? The most likely scenario is that the frame was pushed out of place. It is the most likely component to have been effected by the wreck. If this is the case, you may want to leave it as you have it now. If the steering column is out of place, due to a hit to the linkage, the you will need to correct the linkage that is out of place. Only further inspection will tell. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department.