Q: P0010 -"A" Camshift Position Actuator Circuit/Open Bank 1 & OBD Bulb check failed on smog test - How to search for mechanic?

I recently had a smog check done on my 2005 Volkswagen Jetta with about 85,000 miles and it said the P0010 -"A" Camshift Position Actuator Circuit/Open Bank 1 & OBD Bulb check failed the test. I don't really know the best route to find a mechanic, especially after reading about the P0010 code on this website. It sounds like it can be easily misdiagnosed, and I can't afford the time/money for that. How do I ensure that a mechanic will know what to look for/do? One place said they would charge $75 just for the diagnosis, but I was hoping to get a free estimate, is that realistic? The car runs pretty smoothly, but when I back up, especially when I parallel park, it usually makes loud screeching noises. I'm worried about how much it will be to get fixed and I don't know how to even get started. Help!

Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Solenoid Replacement $123.52 - $539.96 Get a Quote

Hi there. The P0010 code is coming on for the VVT-I (variable valve timing with intelligence) system is malfunctioning. Changing the engine oil and filter could solve this issue and fix most of the problems. But if changing the engine oil and filter does not fix this issue, then check the following components:

• oil control valve (OCV) - could be stuck due to dirty engine oil
  • VVT/VCT circuit - could have a short in the wiring
  • OCV / solenoid valve - could have a short in the solenoid or be stuck due to dirty engine oil
  • computer (ECM) - could be damaged

If you need further assistance with your vehicle not passing the smog test, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.