Q: Lean fuel condition and transmission problems

Car was running good and after leaving gas cap off and 2days of heavy rain it ran rough and tried to cut off when 1st started and beginning driving. Bought additive for water in gas and octane booster (code was P0171) was running good but then o/d lt started flashing, car doesn't want to accelerate when driving acts like its sticking in 1st gear my rpms are high when starting and my codes are now P0171,P0756,P0302,P0174. It suggests I should replace Intake Manifold Gaskets. Is there anything I should do first before doing this? I'm worried I'll be over charged since I don't know much about cars. Thank you, Teresa

Hi There, There is a good chance that if the fuel cap was left off in a heavy rain that there is a fair amount of condensation or water in your fuel tank, which will definitely cause problems with starting and running properly. Water and fuel separate and will not allow the fuel to properly be burned in the engine, which is what will cause the problems with misfiring caused by the lean fuel condition. As a result of the misfiring, this will also trigger other codes (P0756, P0302), which are related to the transmission control module and shift solenoids. The transmission control module receives input from engine RPM’s which it uses to control when the transmission shifts to the next gear. In a chain reaction type manner, if the engine is not performing correctly, this will impact the operation of the transmission as well. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Lean fuel condition and transmission problems