Q: Transmission not engaging

I hit a bump hard and my transmission disengaged. Now, it won't engage.

A: Hello, if you have an automatic, it sounds ...

Hello, if you have an automatic, it sounds like some linkage might have become disconnected. If you have a manual transmission it sound like it jumped out of gear and you can’t get it back into gear. If you can’t get it into gear with the engine off , then something with the internal linkage is binding. You may need the aid of a mechanic to inspect your transmission and see if there is a loose or missing retainer in the shifters.