Q: Advice on using oil combinations and changing oil

2005 Randezvous 121,000 miles. The Jiffy Lube's got Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full sythetic but Jiffy's policy uses standard oil filter at standard oil change interval. Isn't premium oil required with the synthetic oils? What about the oil changing intervals?

A: Yes, I would use a higher-quality filter be...

Yes, I would use a higher-quality filter because if you do use a higher-quality filter with that synthetic oil, you can change your oil every 7,000 or 10,000 miles instead every 5,000 miles or 3,000 miles. I would use a better filter, but with that said, the higher grade oil is really only made for the drivers that really push their cars hard. Some guys would get 12-14,000 miles with synthetic oil which I think is crazy. But for that type of driving, you really have to have a better filter. I like better filters anyways. If you've got a lot of dirt in your engine, you are better off with a quality filter that is going to filter more stuff and hold more dirt to keep it out of the suspension system. So I use quality filters in my own cars all of the time. If you want to have an oil and filter change, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to perform this service for you using quality fluid and filters.