Q: Gauges on 2002 Jeep from Scotland do not work. It has a red kill switch. How do you remove the kill switch?

Gauges on Jeep 2002 from Scotland do not work. It has a red kill switch. When we wiggle the wire connecting the switch, the gauges come on. We have spent way too much money on this car, trying to get it to work. Wondering what would be involved in removing the kill switch (need to be specific so I can take it to shop in Bahamas & ask for what I need.).

Hi there. When you wiggle the wires to the kill switch and the gauges start to work, then the contacts inside the switch could be broken. You could replace the kill switch with a toggle switch that will do the same thing but keep the circuit working. The kill switch is tied into the ignition circuit to the vehicle, which is tied into the lights, dash gauges, and the ignition system. Simply removing the kill switch circuit may cause more problems than you want to have. You could put a relay on the kill circuit and have it energized when the ignition tumbler is turned on. This will bypass the kill switch and keep the same function as a kill switch when the key is turned off (this would work similar to the fuel pump relay). If you need further assistance with the kill switch making the gauges not work, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Gauges on 2002 Jeep from Scotland do not work. It has a red kill switch. How do you remove the kill switch?