Q: Hood Open light comes on while driving

When the car is moving, the ‘Hood Open’ light comes on the dashboard. But when I stop, it goes out. So I opened and then tightly closed the hood, but the light still comes on when I’m driving. What can be done to fix this?

A: You may have a faulty hood switch on your 2...

You may have a faulty hood switch on your 2004 Mercedes-Benz E500. This switch is responsible for letting the driver know if the hood is open. It is possible that the vehicle is programmed to only show the open hood warning in drive or reverse gear. This may be the case because technicians may need to be in the driver seat at some point while servicing the vehicle, and it is more convenient to leave the hood open. This feature is most likely built for the technicians who are working on the car. I would recommend having your hood switch tested by a qualified professional to determine if it is working correctly. If not, replacing this part will likely resolve your issue.