Q: Ok i replaced the primary and secondary coils on my 97 dodge 2500 ram van 6cyl. .ereased the p351 code and my ehuast mufller blew

asked by on December 05, 2017

I just replaced the muffler that blew a hole in it around thanksgiving my vehicle was stalling till backfire and when you back off throttle then accelerate to vehicles sputeers snuffs till backfire then goes on my new muffler ripped wide open at the seem and i did replace the coils primary and secondary. Seems more like a pressure or vaporlock type problem please advise. No code coming up anymore after erasing three days ago .351 was the code

Engine is backfiring Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Backfiring is often caused by a too lean or too rich air-to-fuel ratio although a few other causes are discussed below. A backfire in the intake manifold is caused by a ratio that is too lean (not enough fuel). A backfire out the exhaust system is caused by a ratio that is too rich (too much fuel). If backfiring is occurring, it is recommended that you request a diagnostic to identify and resolve the root of the problem. Some other possible causes of backfiring are moisture or resistance in the car’s electronic ignition system that allows a crossover generation of current to the wrong cylinder; a lean mixture caused by either an engine vacuum leak or low fuel-pump pressure; a faulty air injection check valve (part of the car’s emission control system) allows too much air into the car’s exhaust system; a failed air intake boot can cause a backfire by altering the feedback voltage to the PCM; faulty ignition components or spark plugs may also cause backfires if the ignition timing drifts off or the plugs fire intermittently; and an exhaust leak such as broken welds or other small holes can take in cool air during deceleration and cause a popping or backfiring in the exhaust system. If you request a backfiring diagnostic the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr