Q: Replaced alternator and all was well. One day went to start the car and it made weird noise then shuttered and died. The belt doesn't seem lose.

the toyota dealer replaced the alternator yesterday and all was well yesterday and today - tonight I went to start car - and upon start up it made a weird kind of squeal noise and the car shuttered and died - I tried starting it couple more times and it doesn't sound like a normal crank over - it wont start at all - the belt appears ok and doesn't feel lose - I had the drive belt replaced about 40k miles ago

Check the drive belt and see if it has a glaze to it. If so, then the drive belt is stretched and needs replaced. A drive belt has a life span of about 25K miles. Having 40K miles on the drive belt will have it stretched and weather cracked. If you need further assistance with your noise on the engine, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Replaced alternator and all was well. One day went to start the car and it made weird noise then shuttered and died. The belt doesn't seem lose.