Q: Jeep Compass slow turn bogging down issue, TC/ABS/ESP/4WD.

asked by on February 17, 2017

I have a 2007 Jeep Compass. All my traction control/ESP/4WD/ABS lights are on. Took it to a basic full service shop and they couldn't figure it out. When I'm driving slow like a parking lot and I'm backing out of a spot with the wheel turned all the way to the left or right (not at full lock) it seems to bog the engine down or seems like it's hard to accelerate. The engine RPM's go up but it seems like I'm going nowhere slowly. It acts the same going forewards. If I'm making a slow turn left or right it's like I'm pushing the car through mush and the engine is working really hard. Any suggestions?

Hi There, What you are describing sounds like it may be related to a faulty transmission control module or potentially a bad transmission speed sensor. The speed sensor reads the rotational speed of the reluctor wheel, located within the transmission. The speed sensor also controls the anti-lock braking system. Driving with a bad speed sensor usually causes the ABS and potentially the traction control to malfunction. When this is not working properly, you may also notice the transmission hesitating to shift gears, erratic tachometer readings, the speedometer not working properly or the odometer not working properly. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.