Q: Rough idle and smoking issue

I started my truck and a big puff of white smoke came out didn't think much of it , as I was going down the highway about 75mph I about 10 mins later I punched it to 90 and about a 1/4 a mile I stoped at an intersection and my car had a very rough idle. Any idea what causing it.

Hello there, many faults will cause your 1999 Dodge Durango to have a rough idle and smoke. There are several different colors of smoke that can come from and engine. Grey smoke is typically oil, black smoke is unburnt fuel or a rich condition, and white smoke is typically coolant.

Given than your vehicle runs poorly I suspect the smoke is grey and is being burned. This can occur due to a fault in the PCV system, intake manifold issues, or low engine compression.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, a qualified technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your smoking engine and rough idle firsthand.