Q: Engine noise at idling, Check Engine Light on

asked by on August 30, 2016

My car has gone 45,000 miles. It's been having problems ever since I bought it. Due to grinding noise that was noticeable while shifting with fully depressed clutch, the dealer had the transmission replaced. Now,the dashboard started showing the check engine light illuminated. It happens while I'm shifting at 6000 RPM on average. During idling, there is a high-pitched noise coming from the engine. What might be causing this? Is the engine going out?

Hello. It is common for these cars to have problems with the camshaft gears making noise and causing the Engine Light to come on. If the problem persists, then damage to the motor is possible. It would be a good idea to take the car back to the dealership who performed the work previously to have this addressed. If you do not feel comfortable taking the car back to the dealership, contact a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, who will be able to assist you.