2003 Jeep Liberty check engine light power all time smell...

Q: 2003 Jeep Liberty check engine light power all time smell and white smoke

asked by on September 08, 2017

My Jeep has the check engine light on and power is on all the time there's no way of turning it off until battery goes dead in a week or two. I can even drive it while I take out the key from the cylinder lock! Now It's been a week with a horrible smell and bit of white smoke. I took it to different mechanics, some say is the ignition switch pin and ignition starter, that it has electrical problems and it's confusing all the system. But funny part is when they put it under the computer and test it everything looks fine. They don't see any leaks either. After all tests they say "everything is fine" which is controversial.

Hi Vanesa. Thanks for writing in tonight about this very odd issue with the Jeep. Generally speaking, when you have constant power being drawn (even if the key is out of the ignition) it’s caused by an electrical circuit that is stuck open or what’s referred to as a parasitic drain. Whether the source of this is the ignition cylinder, an exposed wire (creating a short), or a damaged or faulty ground wire connection, it’s very difficult to isolate and pinpoint the source of this problem without completing an electrical problems inspection. Electrical problems can and often will send false data to the ECU (which will illuminate the light). That smoke and smell is what concerns me, as that is always an indication that something is burning and should be isolated and diagnosed as soon as possible.