HELLO . WELL I TOOK MY CAR TO AUTOZONE TO GET IT PLUGGED...

Q: HELLO . WELL I TOOK MY CAR TO AUTOZONE TO GET IT PLUGGED INTO THE SYSTEM TO SEE WHAT WAS WRONG WITH IT. A CODE ASDVISED THAT I NE

asked by on July 26, 2017

HELLO . WELL I TOOK MY CAR TO AUTOZONE TO GET IT PLUGGED INTO THE SYSTEM TO SEE WHAT WAS WRONG WITH IT. A CODE ASDVISED THAT I NEED MY VALVE COVER REPLACED. MY CAR WILL START BUT WILL SHUT RIGHT OFF AFTER IT CRANKS SOMETIMES. IT MAKES A WEIRD NOISE WHEN TRYING TO CRANK IT UP ALSO . DOES THIS MEAN MY ENGINE IS FAILING??

It sounds like you may have a vacuum leak of some kind resulting in the code you have indicated. Although there are several codes that may cause this, in general they will usually refer back to an air or vacuum leak of some kind. High idle speeds or in some cases rough idle, stalling and hissing sounds are common signs of a vacuum leak. When a vacuum leak is present in an engine, this causes an excessive imbalance in the air/fuel ratio which creates a loss of power and causes the motor to run at a much higher RPM as a result of the increased oxygen present in the fuel charge being injected into the motor. This may also be caused by an idle control valve that may be sticking or failed due to old age or deterioration. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vacuum leak as these can be very difficult and time consuming to trace.