Q: The ignition is locked up and the car cannot be started

The ignition on my car locked up. It happened suddenly for the first time. I didn't have any similar issues before. No matter how much I move the key when I put it into the ignition, it wouldn't turn. I tried to move the steering wheel but nothing happens. The ignition is locked. I tried using another factory key but it didn't help. Do you have any idea why this happened and how to fix it? Thanks.

Most modern vehicles now have small moving parts inside the ignition switch of the vehicle. If any of these small moving parts become misaligned, this could cause the ignition switch to lock up. When this issue occurs, the most common repair would be to replace the ignition switch. It is best to use an OEM ignition switch especially for vehicles that have a chip in the key. The new ignition switch will also come with a new ignition key.

For best results, ensure that an inspection of your key not turning is performed by an experienced technician, such as one from YourMechanic.