Q: Emergency brake was pushed too hard. Cable snapped at a rusty spot.

Someone inexperienced with the Emergency brake setup (floor pedal with separate release) pushed the pedal until the brake was fully engaged, the pedal was then pushed further down, all the way to the floor. The cable snapped between the junction of the first and second cable and the Y that splits off to the rear drums. The cable needs to be mended or replaced. Is there any way to do this without replacing the entire cable?

Hello there, parking brake cables will fail over time in your 1994 Chevrolet K1500. Over time the cable stretches and can break when the parking brake is applied. The parking brake cable is a safety feature and must be replaced as a unit. It is not possible to repair the cable as it has stretched and repairing the cable would shorten it. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to determine how much of the parking brake cable will need to be replaced.

3. Emergency brake was pushed too hard. Cable snapped at a rusty spot.