Q: Transmission fluid leak, power loss, extremely high fuel usage.

The transmission started shifting really hard, the fuel indicator registered using 3 gals of fuel in the 500ft I drove. Transmission fluid was low so put some in, still using lot of fuel and sluggish power, transmission has a burnt smell, the wrench indicator light is on. Get home and open hood there is transmission fluid sprayed on top of the motor. Used 60 miles of fuel to travel 40 miles. 2008 Ford Edge 3.5 SEL front wheel drive. approx. 123000 miles on.

Hello - I would focus on the transmission issue first. If you have the transmission fluid back to its proper level, check for problem codes, whether the Check Engine light is lit or not. An auto parts store will read these codes for you for free. Low fluid level can easily result in poor performance and burned clutches, and can cause foaming out of the filler dipstick and onto the engine. If after refilling transmission fluid, there are no problem codes, I would recommend having a Transmission Fluid Service completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs. If there are transmission codes, and/or the "Wrench" symbol is still illuminated, I would recommend taking your vehicle to a reputable transmission repair facility for a thorough diagnostic analysis. The "high fuel consumption" indicated in the instrument cluster is likely a secondary indicator of the transmission issue. Resolve the transmission performance problem first, then check fuel mileage.

3. Transmission fluid leak, power loss, extremely high fuel usage.