Q: Car starting, idling, and then stalling

asked by on February 05, 2016

The car starts, idles for a second, and then dies. I cleaned off the battery posts and ground connection. When I went to change the fuel filter, I stripped the rusted bolts that hold the steel fuel line to the filter.

Hello. If the engine will only run for a short period of time then it may have a failing fuel pump or an electrical issue. Being that you stripped out the fuel filter connections, the metal lines may need to be replaced. Depending on how bad the line are now it may be possible to use a flare wrench to get them loose. If not then they need to be replaced. The issue may also be the air flow meter as that is a common problem on this vehicle. I would have a certified mechanic inspect your vehicle and diagnose the causes of your stalling issue.