Q: If it starts off a jump is it the alternator?

I'm looking to purchase a car from a private party. Owner states: won't start. New starter and battery. Needs alternator.

If I jump start it and it continues to run, it just needs an alternator correct?

Hi There, Depending on the year, make and model of the car, it may or may not run this way. Theoretically, on an older car, you can drive for a while once the engine is running, you’ll just be without any electrical amenities in the vehicle. Newer cars are much more reliant on the battery and alternator, and many won’t even stay running with a dead battery. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to perform a pre-purchase inspection on the vehicle prior to purchasing to be sure there are not any other issues related to this.

3. If it starts off a jump is it the alternator?