Q: Rattling Sound - 2007 Subaru Impreza

asked by on November 01, 2016

Hello, I currently bought a 07 Subaru Impreza 2.5 and Randomly I hear a small raddle and almost "grinding" like problem. My worries is that it's either the clutch or the transmission. Both these sounds are swift lasting no more than a second or 2 and it's never while accelerating but while idling in drive.

Hey there. I suspect you have an engine-mounted bracket that is touching a heat-shield or other metal component under the hood, generating the noise you hear. Get a helper to hold the brake, and put the car in gear while idling. Stick your head under the hood and listen for the offending noise. There are a lot of pipes in these models, all in tight quarters, so it could be difficult to pinpoint the exact problem. For more assistance, I would recommend having a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the noise and follow through with repairs.