Q: Car makes a noise when I accelerate

Looking to get some advice on a noise that my car started making awhile ago. The noise is a clicking/ticking/knocking type noise, and I can hear it when the car is idling, and also when I accelerate. It seems like it improves after the car has been running for a bit, but I am not sure if that's just me getting used to the noise or not. Any idea what is going on? Should I get this fixed?

Some noise from these engines is considered normal, especially on cold start. The noise is often the result of "piston slap" caused by excessive piston to cylinder wall clearance. The noise goes away when the engine warms up and the piston expands.

Another potential cause is a stretched timing chain and/or faulty timing chain tensioner.

Finally, there is a technical service bulletin (TSB) #12-AT-003-1, which pertains to a rattle noise when the engine is cold, or the vehicle is in reverse. The cause of this noise is a faulty muffler.

A trained professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, will be able to diagnose the noise firsthand and determine the cause.

3. Car makes a noise when I accelerate