Q: Car died twice

asked by on March 24, 2016

My car is not turning on. I jumpstarted it, and it started working again, but after a few minutes of driving it, it died on me again.

A failed battery can put tremendous stresses on the charging system. Once the charging system stop working it is possible for the engine to shut off due to low voltage in the vehicle electrical system. The battery should be replaced if it will not hold a charge or fails a load test. Once either the current battery is charged or a new one is installed the charging system should be checked. Another possibility is the charging system is shutting down and the engine is dying as a result of the battery being drained. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic who will have the equipment and training to run load tests on both the battery and charging and be able to correct the issues once the tests are conducted.