Q: How do I fix a P0016 code for a 2009 bmw 328i

The car shakes and the engine surges, and idles erratically. I put a new valve cover in and the car started having these problems. What are the possible solutions to fixing this?

Hi there. The P0016 OBD-II trouble code indicates that the camshaft position sensor for bank 1 does not correlate to the signal from the crankshaft position sensor. In some cases it can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. You might want to read this article on this error code, as it will outline the possible causes, and solutions for repairing this issue. Although it’s not listed in the article, you might want to retrace your steps on the replacement of the valve cover, as it’s possible that the electrical connection to the camshaft position sensor may have not been fully installed or has been damaged.

Hi There, Code P0016 relates to the crankshaft position sensor. A crankshaft position sensor is an electronic device used to monitor the position or rotational speed of the crankshaft. This information is used by engine management systems to control the fuel injection or the ignition system timing and other engine parameters. When this is faulty or not working properly, this will cause problems with the ignition system and generating spark transmission to the spark plugs resulting in starting problems and other performance issues causing misfires. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your crankshaft position sensor.

3. How do I fix a P0016 code for a 2009 bmw 328i