Q: Why is my car violently shaking and my check engine light and HOLD light are flashing?

This literally came out of nowhere! Halfway home my car felt like it was driving funny then suddenly my check engine light and HOLD light started flashing.soon as I stopped at a red light the whole car started to violently shake but stops when I hit the accelerator

Hi There, This can happen for many different reasons. The check engine light will come on when any of the following issues are detected by your vehicle’s computer. Shaking or vibration may be caused by things such as faulty spark plugs, poor fuel pressure or misfires. Other things such as a faulty idle air control valve may cause the engine idle to drop below the normal idling RPM which may also cause the motor to shake or vibrate more than normal. This creates a loss of power that resonates throughout the motor additionally causing other problems with ignition and fuel timing. Anytime a misfire is caused, this causes an imbalance in the motor which will cause the motor to shake or vibrate. The other issue that may cause this type of shaking or vibration is a broken engine mount. Engine mounts are generally rubber mounted braces that hold the engine in place to the chassis of the car. When these break or become weak or faulty, this may cause the engine to vibrate heavily. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Why is my car violently shaking and my check engine light and HOLD light are flashing?