Q: Car won't start & makes hollow-type sound

I stopped to get gas on my way to work and when I got back in, my car would not start. It did turn over, but it made a kind of hollow sound like an over-pulled plug. It was a full tank, but it just didn't seem to be getting any. Just yesterday the car felt like there was a bit of a surge while I was driving - I don't know if that’s related. Can you steer me in the direction of solving the problem? Thanks.

A: Many different faults can cause the vehicle...

Many different faults can cause the vehicle not to start. A few of the more common are the battery, alternator, starter, fuel pump, and ignition switch. Given that you felt a surge, it is more likely that it's the battery, alternator or fuel pump. If you want to have this checked, a qualified technician like one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your starting issue and perform any repairs you may need.