Q: Transmission won't shift from first gear

asked by on April 04, 2017

2008 chevy Malibu won't shift out of first gear. Check engine light comes on when this happens Problem only happens twice a month or so. Car will work fine if turn I turn it off and let it sit for 20 minutes or so. It just started leaking transmission fluid just recently but this has been a problem for a few months.

You will need to have the car checked for the reason the check engine light is coming on? The vehicle is going into failsafe mode and not shifting transmission. Once you get the codes from the computer you can then identify the reason for the transmission not shifting.