Q: How do I safely clean my car's throttle body?

asked by on October 21, 2016

hello. i want to clean my throttle body because my car is stalling a lot. What are safety measures i need to take to prevent damaging the throttle body

The best way to clean a throttle body is to use throttle body cleaner with a soft towel to wipe out the carbon deposits on the throttle body. In order to do this, I would recommend having someone help you by sitting in the driver seat and pressing down on the gas pedal. This will open the butterfly valve to allow access to the inside of the throttle.

Simply have your assistant hold their foot down until you have finished cleaning out the throttle. Once the throttle is clean, you can then reconnect the air cleaner tube back to the engine.

If you need assistance, have a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, clean the throttle body for you to make sure your car is in good working order.