Q: My van is doing some weird things like misfiring down the highway.

asked by on November 19, 2016

driving down the highway van bucks hard almos as if the brakes locked up all warning lights came off and on did it 3 times all lights dimmed than it wouldnt come out of gear than it did as soon as shut it off wouldnt start like the batterys dead or alt failed jumped the van had to keep my foot on the gas but eventually engine ran fine alt spinning smelled the belt burning ....someone told me crankshaft pully but if it was that the car wouldnt start correct and engine run ....could it be a power steering or a water pump issue.or could it be alt issue im at a loss help would be very much appericiated thanks

Hi there. It sounds like the alternator is seizing up and needs replaced. This would explain the lights dimming and the smell of burnt rubber. Also, if the power steering pump was to seize up, it will cause the engine to try to stall out as there would be a large load on the engine and the smell of the belt burning. Remove the drive belt and spin all of the pulleys. Which ever pulley is not spinning correctly, then it is probably the part that needs replaced. After replacing the part that has failed, I recommend replacing the drive belt. If you need further assistance with the burning smell and the engine trying to shut down, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.