Q: Starter turns over whenever I shift over Park or Neutral, intermittent problem.

This problem is intermittent and I am at my wits end trying to diagnose the problem. On occasion when I start my truck up and drive somewhere, I'll come to a stop and shift into park and the starter will turn over. I don't hear any grinding as though the solenoid engaged, but all the lights dim for a second due to the draw from the starter. Shop said it was the neutral safety-switch, I replaced it, problem didn't go away, got a refund for the shotty diagnostic job. I have replaced ALL Relays, fuses, and breakers, on top of the starter itself, the ignition switch, and the neutral safety-switch. Another thing to note is that on occasion when I disconnect the battery and reconnect it, the starter will turn over and I was once able to start the truck this way in spite of the fact that the key wasn't in the ignition. Recently my AC module has occasionally stopped working and restarting the truck will fix it. Also there has been a random clicking from behind the dash

A: Hello there, thank you for asking about you...

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD. There is only one power source that can engage the starter relay and that would be the ignition switch. The ignition switch should not be able to stay engaged unless you feel it binding at times. You also should remove any aftermarket remote start systems that may also cause the problem. If no aftermarket system is on the vehicle then check the wire connector to the ignition switch and replace the switch. Make sure to double check the key lock cylinder does not bind when the ignition switch is off the column. It should move freely. If you would like help doing this, a certified technician from YourMechanic can replace the ignition switch at your home or office.