Q: When engine is cold it makes a rattling noise when you put into gear, but when it warms up there is no noise.

asked by on November 19, 2016

When engine is cold it makes a rattling noise when you put it into gear and tap the gas, or even just into gear. After it warms up for a couple of minutes there is no noise.

Hi there. There could be a bearing failing in the engine or the power steering pump bearing could be going. First try to turn the steering wheel when the sound is present. If the noise diminishes or dies out, the the power steering pump bearing is failing and the pump should be replaced. If there is no difference in the noise, then there could be a rod bearing issue. I recommend changing the engine oil and putting on a good oil filter with good oil. A dirty oil filter can starve the engine of oil and cause problems. If you need further assistance with the rattling noise on startup, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.