Q: Why do I smell oil and about how much will it cost to repair it?

I went to the dealership because I had some repairs done in November while the car was still under the extended warranty. I smelled oil again and took the car in to make sure something wasn't missed in the work from that date or if there is a new issue. Here's what they told me:

FOUND THE OIL PAN AND THE TRANSMISSION PAN LEAKING OIL RECOMMENDED FOLLOWING SERVICES OR REPAIRS: OIL PAN SEEP TRANSMISSION PAN SEEP AND STRUT MOUNT

The mechanic still had my car on the lift and he showed me the problems. I no longer have a warranty and would like to get a second opinion and how to get the issues fixed and what the pricing would be.

Thank you! Diana

Hello Diana. If you still have the service documents from the dealership a technician will be able to tell you if the leaks are new or a recurring issue. Mini Coopers will usually have a leak around the oil pan gasket which can produce a smell. Transmission pans do not usually leak much fluid but a seepage is common. A seepage will not produce enough fluid to cause a noticeable oil smell so I believe your main issue is a leaking oil pan gasket. The oil leaking from the oil pan gasket will tend to crawl its way to other areas so it may look like the transmission pan is seeping when it’s actually not. A technician should clean off the old fluid and evaluate your vehicle after a few miles of driving. If you would like a second opinion we do offer mobile technicians which will help you diagnose and fix your vehicle. I will get a quote sent to you for the diagnosis of your vehicle, or you can build your own here. https://www.yourmechanic.com