Q: Thunking noise in rear of the car.

From a dead stop, when initially accelerating, there is a thunking noise in the rear of the vehicle. It is not the brake calipers, rotors, or brake pads. Could this be the load-leveling shocks deteriorating? This only happens from a dead stop. It does not happen when accelerating while in motion.

Hi there, thanks for writing in. This thunking noise is a common problem when U-joints (driveshaft) are worn out. I would recommend having them inspected to be sure they do not have too much play in them. When there is too much clearance in these, they will cause the thunking sound you are describing, especially when accelerating. If there is something wrong with these U-joints, you may need to replace them. If you’d like help investigating the noise or U-joints, have a certified automotive technician come to your home or office to diagnose and repair the issue for you.

3. Thunking noise in rear of the car.