Q: How can i fix my locked ignition cylinder

I recently replaced my ignition lock cylinder and i must have missed a step or something because i was reprogramming the theft system and i waited 10 min to reset it like the instructions said then turn it off and i should be able to start it normal again but as i was going to turn the car on the ignition would not let me turn the key so i think i just locked my car and don't know how to unlock the ignition cylinder to turn my car back on so i am wondering how i can get this problem fixed?

A: If the key won't turn in the lock cylin...

If the key won't turn in the lock cylinder, it is a mechanical issue. If this happened to me, I would be removing the steering column covers again to see what is physically keeping the lock cylinder from turning. As I am sure you are aware, your steering column is a complicated device with many small things that can go wrong.

Sometimes, if your steering wheel is cranked to one direction, the force of the front wheel will push against the steering wheel locking pawl making it difficult to turn the key. If this is the case, simply turn the wheel in the direction you can to take this pressure off of the pawl. Attempt to turn the key at the same time. Outside of this problem, the key could be an issue if you are using the old one. If you have a new key, try removing it a flipping it over. This is often effective with old keys but rarely necessary with new ones.

If you should still need help, I recommend getting some assistance from one of our mobile experts who can diagnose the issue with your key for an accurate repair.

Good luck!