Q: Audi A4 makes noise In Sport Mode

Hello, I have a 2008 AudI A4 2.0T Quattro and I am experiencing a loud growl/grinding noise when using sport mode. When driving in regular D (Drive) there is no noise at all besides the regular engine sound. When I throw it into sport mode, the noise appears to happen around 2500 rpm or when it is about to change gears I'm every gear 1 through 6. Not sure what is causing it but it is annoying and embarrassing as I can't use it anymore due to the fact how loud and weird it sounds.

Switching to sport mode only changes the transmission software. So I don’t think you are actually experiencing a transmission problem. But the "sport mode" program enables the engine to reach higher speeds before shifting gears, so it could be that you are getting an engine noise associated with higher engine speeds. My first guess is that you have exhaust noise, or maybe a rattling heat shield on the exhaust, but it really could be any number of other possibilities. The best thing to do is to have a technician who is familiar with the mechanical noises of an Audi test drive your car. By contacting Your Mechanic, you can have a technician come to your home or office and listen to and inspect your Audi to let you know what repairs may need to be done.