My 1995 Dodge intepid 3.5L 158K miles keeps overheating. ...

Q: My 1995 Dodge intepid 3.5L 158K miles keeps overheating. Can that problem be solved once the motor has some wear?

asked by on October 24, 2017

My well cared for 1995 Dodge intepid 3.5L 158K miles keeps overheating. Can that problem be solved once the motor has some wear? It pegged Hot temp 3 times that I couldn't get off the road in time to stop. Usually run AC fan to cool it, but didn't work this time. My mech says must do $865 water pump job first before he can test for head or head gasket leak from Overheating. Since had 120k miles on it couldn't keep it from running little too warm without running A/C fan. My Mech disconnected AC compressor for me, so I could always run AC blower to cool motor (which worked for about 2 years). Cooling system including fan was replaced, but still wanted to overheat. So, wondering, is it possible to fix overheat problem once motor has some age on it?

If your engine is overheating and replacing the water pump stops the leaks and gets coolant circulating again through the system then you should not have a problem even with a high mileage engine. If you overheated engine several times then you may have warped the cylinder heads and head gaskets may be leaking. With a vehicle this old it would not be cost effective to have the engine work done since it can cost a couple thousand dollars to fix.