Q: What does the Vehicle Dynamic Control Off indicator light mean on the dash?

What does the Vehicle Dynamic Control Off indicator light mean on the dash?

A: If the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) OFF in...

If the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) OFF indicator light is illuminated on the dashboard, this is an indication that the stability control system is not engaged. The term Vehicle Dynamic Control is one that is used on Nissan vehicles, and shares the same function of a traction control system.

Without the VDC system, the driver is more likely to lose control of the vehicle in adverse weather conditions, such as snow, ice or rain. The VDC system assists the driver in adverse weather conditions by reducing engine speed and/or applying brakes to individual wheels that are slipping. This provides necessary power to the other wheels that is necessary for the driver to maintain vehicle control. Although the purpose of the VDC system is to assist drivers in maintaining vehicle control, it is still necessary for drivers to use care when stopping suddenly, at high speeds.

It is recommended that the VDC system to be left on at all times, unless the vehicle is stuck in mud or snow. If the vehicle does become stuck, it may then be necessary to turn OFF the VDC system to dislodge the vehicle. The VDC system is turned on automatically when the vehicle is turned on. If the VDC system has been turned off and the Vehicle Dynamic Control OFF indicator light is on in the dash, turning the vehicle off and then back on should turn the VDC system back on as well. It may also be possible to push the VDC button again to turn the system back on.