Q: What does the Low Tire Pressure light mean on the dash?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What does the Low Tire Pressure light mean on the dash?

Your car is equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring system (TPMS) that monitors the air in each tire. When it detects a drop in air pressure, it turns on the Low Tire Pressure warning light on the dash (it looks like a tire with an exclamation mark inside). The light should turn on briefly when you crank the engine, but should turn off shortly afterward.

If the light stays on after you crank the car, or it turns on while you’re driving, it means that you need to physically check the air pressure in all four tires (the system doesn’t tell you which tire is low, only that one is). Add air to the low tire and the light should go off within a few miles of driving. Checking all the tire pressures and correcting them as need would be the best practice.

Tip

If the light turns on and begins flashing, it indicates a problem with the TPMS system or with a wheel sensor. Have the car inspected as soon as possible.