Q: Fuel pump relay location.

So, my symptoms first were : car starts, rough idle, dies. Now, no start, no noise from fuel pump when ignition is "on" position. Should I test the fuel pump relay before taking it to dealer? And where is the relay, doesn't show in the manual where it is. Thanks for your help .Jack

Relays are always a good location to test a system. You are on the right track in that respect. Unfortunately, your car does not have a traditional fuel pump relay. It has what is known as the Fuel pump driver module. The good news is it is a little easier to test the fuel pump from this location as there are only a one ground and power circuit you will need to pay attention to when testing the fuel pump.

Before we go there, you need to know that the fuel pump will only cycle for around two seconds when the key is first turned on. When cycling the key, it will need to be in the off position for as long as five minutes. This means you will need someone to be low on the ground as close to the fuel pump as the key is turned on. If you don’t hear the fuel pump then use a hammer to pound on the bottom of the fuel tank while someone is cranking the key. Fuel pumps have a tendency to stick and can be jarred loose with a hammer. If this works, it means you need a fuel pump. Remember, you need to pound on the bottom of the fuel tank while cranking the motor.

If you do all that and the car still doesn’t start, I would connect a fuel pressure gauge under the hood to be absolutely certain. Then I would access the power and ground circuit from the fuel pump driver module. It is located on the right side of the luggage compartment. It is under the carpet. Making sure you have located the correct module requires a wiring diagram. With this you can compare the wiring harness colors and wire locations to confirm you have accessed the correct module. You will also use the diagram to test power and ground circuits to the module and the fuel pump.

When it comes to vehicle information, I recommend a one car yearly subscription with AllData for $16.95. AllData.DIY This will give some of the most accurate information about your car.

If you would like to book an appointment with us, I recommend the following inspection to help you out. Car is not starting

Good luck!