Q: Random sputtering and power loss - 1992 Dodge B350

I have an issue with the van that has been occurring for years and completely at random. Most of the time, the van starts immediately and runs well. However, at times, it would sputter a lot. At that point, the engine gets hot as well. At times, I would be able to drive for a few hours and then it would begin sputtering. There are no unusual noises. It just has the sound of the engine power loss. I had several parts replaced already, including the distributor, distributor cap, spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, timing chain and crank sensor. Also, I had the compression tested and there are no issues there. I'm not sure what else I might do. Do you have any suggestions?

Hello. There may be separate issues going on here and even the possibility of one causing the other. An overheating engine can misfire and sputter if the engine is extremely hot. Typically this is due to a failed thermostat, water pump or a low coolant level from a leak. If you need help having this checked, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the sputtering problem to have this appropriately addressed.

3. Random sputtering and power loss - 1992 Dodge B350