Q: Can I perform the service on my own BMW?

This is my first BMW. I have always maintained & repaired my own cars but I can see this car is much more complicated. I bought it with 64000 miles. Now I have 68000+ and it is indicating that I need to change the oil and brake fluid. I would like to do this myself but would like to know if there are any special instructions, techniques, tools, etc that I should know about that is specific to this car and is different from what I am used to considering I have only owned GM autos. Also do you have any comments regarding the brand of oil to use, for example, BMW full syn vs Amsoil.

You’re right in that this car is way more complicated than a GM product. But oil change and Brake fluid change are a couple of services that you should be able to perform yourself. If you choose to do that, Be sure to invest in a proper service manual and read it carefully. There are a lot of new details in the procedures that you need to follow. What you may not be able to do is reset the service reminders. That is usually done with the BMW diagnostic equipment though some models have manual reset procedures. That should also be in the service manual that you should buy. As for the oil and other fluids. I recommend using either the BMW oil or Mobile 1 Synthetic. I don’t have enough personal experience with Amsoil to make a recommendation, but I do know some people that insist it is good stuff. Be sure to use the correct brake fluid in the brake system. Any DOT4 fluid will work, but the ATE or Pentosin brands have a kind of purple tint that matches the OE fluid, so you don’t muddy up the color. If you decide to delegate this job, You can contact Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to service your BMW while you go about doing the things you’d rather do.

3. Can I perform the service on my own BMW?