Q: I was told some 4x4 jeep models are primarily front wheel drive then the rears kick in when engaged.

are some 4 wd vehicles primarily frond wheel drive then the rear kicks in when engaged ??/

Hi there. To determine if your vehicle or another jeep in that manner is rear wheel drive or front wheel drive, simply look at the transmission. If the transmission is mounted horizontal, then the vehicle is front wheel drive. If the vehicle is mounted longitudinal, then the vehicle is rear wheel drive. There is no transfer case that is designed to drive the front wheels first then the rear wheels in a jeep or truck. There are all-wheel drive vehicles, but they are driven by the front first then the rear wheels but they have a horizontal transmission.