Q: Can I use the same torque converter from an old tranny that has been burnt out? 1994 Ford Mustang

Ok, so I have an engine swapped mustang. Here's what's done to it.

Stock 1994 v6 mustang body 1993 Thunderbird lx motor (5.0) Stage 2 camshaft Straight pipe with down turn True dual exhaust with turn down Cat delete Stripped interior Weight reduced (400lbs)

Ok so at this point the car has been through 2 transmissions, and its needing it's 3rd right now, and I know it's because I am pushing well over 300 hp to a transmission built to take 200 hp. So my first transmission was the stock 1994 v6 mustang trans (5 speed auto). Then when that burned out I got a 1993 thunder bird lx transmission (4 speed auto) which wouldn't let me go faster than 120 because it would redline. So now here I am, I finally got a 94 mustang gt transmission, and I'm putting a shift kit in it soon. Can I use the same torque converter the old Thunderbird transmission used?

If you have any advice if really appreciate it. Thanks.

Hello - while you could re-use the torque converter (both cars use the AODE 4-speed transmission), I wouldn’t. Lots of reasons - if the old transmission self-destructed, there is virtually NO chance to get any debris captured in the old torque converter out of it with fluid flushing. And, the lockup clutch may or may not hold up as well. Since rebuilt converters are available for less than $200 from a variety of reliable supplier, why take the chance? Having leftover debris ruin yet another transmission - not just the old converter - is a bad bet. Remember to flush the fluid lines and oil cooler thoroughly as well. Good luck!

3. Can I use the same torque converter from an old tranny that has been burnt out? 1994 Ford Mustang