Q: Improving gas mileage - 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

I need some advice on getting better gas mileage on my car. The AWC has a switch on it, which allows choosing between the 2WD and 4WD. So, I was wondering if choosing the 2WD could provide a better gas mileage. What do you think? Is this true?

A: The savings in gas, if they exist, would on...

The savings in gas, if they exist, would only be between 0 and 5 percent. The only way to know for sure is do a test: drive the car a specified distance, with and without 4WD and compare the results in terms of gallons used. Due to a variety of energy/engineering related considerations, you are not likely to see a meaningful difference. However to be sure, and for your own edification, I do recommend doing the road test with and without. You might consider a 50 mile course as long enough for reliable comparison. It should be tested on fairly open roads as you need to use the same vehicle speeds with and without.