Q: Improving gas mileage - 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport

I need some advice on getting better gas mileage on my car. The AWC has a switch on it, which allows choosing between the 2WD and 4WD. So, I was wondering if choosing the 2WD could provide a better gas mileage. What do you think? Is this true?

The savings in gas, if they exist, would only be between 0 and 5 percent. The only way to know for sure is do a test: drive the car a specified distance, with and without 4WD and compare the results in terms of gallons used. Due to a variety of energy/engineering related considerations, you are not likely to see a meaningful difference. However to be sure, and for your own edification, I do recommend doing the road test with and without. You might consider a 50 mile course as long enough for reliable comparison. It should be tested on fairly open roads as you need to use the same vehicle speeds with and without.

3. Improving gas mileage - 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport