Q: The clutch pedal does not go down, but clutch can still be engaged and disengaged by direct manipulation of the slave cylinder.

asked by on December 03, 2017

Problem occured while driving. When I put my foot on the clutch pedal, it did not go down. Fluid was full. I can directly manipulate the slave cylinder, and the clutch will engage or disengage as if using the pedal, and fluid level rises and falls in the master cylinder. I assumed it was an issue with the master cylinder, but upon removing it and bleeding it, it seems to push fluid just fine. There is no evidence of a leak.

Clutch is not working Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi Michael. Thanks for sending the question today. This is a tricky one to be honest, as my first inclination would be a faulty master cylinder causing the pedal to stick. If the pedal did not rise, I would suspect a broken sprag or a damaged input shaft spline. Air trapped in the hydraulic lines could also cause this issue, as could an internal hydraulic fluid leak. I think the best advice I can offer is to have a professional mechanic or clutch specialist in your city complete an onsite inspection to help you diagnose this problem.