Q: low beams keep going out

asked by on September 27, 2017

I've replaced my low beams three times in under a year. The last two times I used the more expensive Sylvania bulbs, thinking they would last longer. My light is out, again! What could this be? How can I troubleshoot? Thanks!

You may have a low voltage condition getting to the low beam circuit of the headlights and causing them to burn out early. Check the low beam relay to see if it is giving battery voltage at each headlight socket and check to make sure each socket is not overheated causing a loose connection at headlight. Replace bad connectors and low beam relay in fuse box and see if this corrects the issue. Make sure to use correct normal light bulbs and not aftermarket HID bulbs that do not belong with vehicle.

Hi Savanah. Thanks for contacting us today. There are a few possible reasons for frequent headlight bulb burnout such as damage to the headlight assembly, electrical shorts in the wiring or poor electrical connections. It is very possible that you may have a crack in your headlight, allowing moisture to get in and burn out your bulbs. Even the smallest of cracks can allow moisture in and cause the bulbs to break. If you do find a crack in your headlight, it may be possible to fix with some epoxy. If this does not fix the leak, I would recommend having a certified professional mechanic come to your location to inspect the headlight so the right repairs can be made.