Q: Problem with the taillight fuse blowing out on 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII

The tail lights and brake lights fuse blew numerous times on my car and each time I had it replaced. I thought that the brake switch could have been the problem so I had it changed but it didn't solve it. There are no taillights or brake lights and the shifter gets stuck. What should I do?

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII. I suggest that the wiring circuit of the taillights are inspected by a technician for shorts. There may be a short to power/ground from faulted wiring or incorrect bulb usage. Another likely problem which is causing your issues is a faulty brake light switch. If a brake light switch is faulty, it may blow fuses and light bulbs. A brake light switch is also responsible for controlling the shift lock. When the brake light switch becomes bad, some experience not being able to change gears. If you’d like an expert to look at this, have a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your car’s location to inspect your taillight issue in order to have this done.

3. Problem with the taillight fuse blowing out on 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII